Colour Coded Heads - JPX 900 HM

Rhyswt

Local club/country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Was just wondering if you could clear something up for me.

I just went for a custom fitting at a local club for a set of JPX900 Hot Metal irons.

End result was a +1" shaft and I believe 1 degree flat.  My question however is that throughout the fitting I was using the Hot Metal head with yellow coloured lettering, which I'm led to believe is meant to be 2 degrees upright?

Just want to make sure my fitter isn't confused and I end up ordering clubs with incorrect lie angle!

Any help is much appreciated.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Rhyswt said:
Hello all,

I just went for a custom fitting at a local club for a set of JPX900 Hot Metal irons.

End result was a +1" shaft and I believe 1 degree flat.  My question however is that throughout the fitting I was using the Hot Metal head with yellow coloured lettering, which I'm led to believe is meant to be 2 degrees upright?

Just want to make sure my fitter isn't confused and I end up ordering clubs with incorrect lie angle!

Welcome to the forum.

You're correct in thinking the fitting heads with yellow numbering are +2 deg.

How did the fitter determine you needed 1 deg flat? Was it by strike position, strike board or some other way?

Rhyswt

Local club/country
United Kingdom
hursty said:
Rhyswt said:
Hello all,

Welcome to the forum.

You're correct in thinking the fitting heads with yellow numbering are +2 deg.

How did the fitter determine you needed 1 deg flat? Was it by strike position, strike board or some other way?
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

The fitter used impact tape on the sole and made me hit on top of a lie board.  The marking was towards the toe, which I would've thought meant I needed a more upright set?  (please correct me if I'm wrong)

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
Lie boards are a good start but there's more to it than just that.

My preferred way is using a vertical line drawn on the ball with a sharpie pen then hitting it, the direction of the line then indicates which way to go, it doesn't tell you exactly the adjustment needed but with practice you soon get an idea. Could be worth trying it with your current set up to try out.

The best tell though is where does the ball go?

Pulls usually flatter clubs, pushes usually need more upright.

All of it is of course irrelevant unless you've got a repeatable swing :)

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
hursty said:

My preferred way is using a vertical line drawn on the ball with a sharpie pen then hitting it, the direction of the line then indicates which way to go, it doesn't tell you exactly the adjustment needed but with practice you soon get an idea. Could be worth trying it with your current set up to try out.

Wouldn't you think he would have gone to a standard lie head first?

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
RobB2 said:
hursty said:

Wouldn't you think he would have gone to a standard lie head first?
Doesn't matter what lie head it is, point I'm making is lie boards are a good start but there are better ways of working out correct lie angles. A decent fitter would look at more than lie boards IMHO.

Top Bottom