Club Selection Choice

HCP
Local club/country
Wembley Golf Course
After a little bit of help as about to upgrade to a new set of Mizuno's, actually really excited about the new ST190 and can't wait to try that.

I love the look of the MP18 MMC but just wondering if the 919 Hot Metal will be more forgiving and longer. Doing a demo on the range is one thing but the course is a different beast. Would appreciate feedback on distance and stopping power from those using them. My handicap floats between 10 - 13.

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
To be honest, it's really are you a JPX player or an MP player? What do you like the look of. FWIW, 919 tour and MP 18 blade play identical almost, just what youn like better. I would imagine it's not that dissimilar in that bracket of clubs.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
To be honest, it's really are you a JPX player or an MP player? What do you like the look of. FWIW, 919 tour and MP 18 blade play identical almost, just what youn like better. I would imagine it's not that dissimilar in that bracket of clubs.
This is incorrect. The 919 tour is massively more forgiving than the MP18 blade and also has a higher launch.
Also.... I have always been an MP player, I put the new JPX next to the MP18 and from the top there is hardly any difference. I went on sheer performance and the JPX919 tour beat the MP18 hands down in every measurable.

If I was you and was 10-13 handicap I would get the JPX 919 Forged and use them as a stepping stone for get to mid single figures and in 2 years time... the next JPX Tours

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
This is incorrect. The 919 tour is massively more forgiving than the MP18 blade and also has a higher launch.
Also.... I have always been an MP player, I put the new JPX next to the MP18 and from the top there is hardly any difference. I went on sheer performance and the JPX919 tour beat the MP18 hands down in every measurable.

If I was you and was 10-13 handicap I would get the JPX 919 Forged and use them as a stepping stone for get to mid single figures and in 2 years time... the next JPX Tours
So you're telling me that this test is completely invalid and these guys who do objective testing for a living are completely wrong.

If JPX is so much better, where's the facts that state that?

HCP
Local club/country
Wembley Golf Course
Thanks for all the help, have watched a heap of videos and probably over thinking the entire issue now. Just wanted to make sure that what was working during a demo would be as good on the course over an extended period. Its not a small outlay so just wanted to get it right the first time, will make a decision and just get these bad boys in play.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
So you're telling me that this test is completely invalid and these guys who do objective testing for a living are completely wrong.

If JPX is so much better, where's the facts that state that?

Yes I am saying that...anyone can say anything on the internet these days. But us guys on here are real people who love the Mizuno brand and equipment. We talk about Mizuno and we all mostly know each other. I play the 919 tours and tested the MP18s in the blade, MMC and split cavity. I can tell you the the 919 tour is better hands down and beats the MP for better all round playability no matter which model MP you put it up against.
If you want the proof look on tour. How many MP players on tour compared to JPX919??? I rest my case.

Walker_Cup will back me up.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
7BD1BD1E-B8C1-4066-9CA4-A7FC684F843C.png 7BD1BD1E-B8C1-4066-9CA4-A7FC684F843C.png This is what you get playing the 919 Tours 😉

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
81546C0C-8F3F-44BB-B88D-A6439881723A.jpeg
Or this.... I wouldn’t be posting numbers like these on a 6,800 yard course with a SSS of 74 with the MP18

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
@rt_charger where are you based? If you are in the midlands we can get together for a game....

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
@rt_charger where are you based? If you are in the midlands we can get together for a game....
Lol I'm from Australia. Yeah nah, in this country we tend to have a thing against people with a superiority complex, the bragging sounds more like a justification for your clubs, and how similar they really are. But sure, if you think it's impossible to score like that playing a beautiful club, you keep at it.

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
What it also seems like you're fogetting to understand is that the JPX players on tour are young guns. That's exactly who the JPX line is targeted at - people like Koepka. The MP line is tradition and it is simplicity. That's why you see the older folk playing it like Luke Donald. People these days like flashy and that's what the JPX is, no wonder it gets more play. I myself am a stickler for tradition and I like a clean blade so MP for me.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
What it also seems like you're fogetting to understand is that the JPX players on tour are young guns. That's exactly who the JPX line is targeted at - people like Koepka. The MP line is tradition and it is simplicity. That's why you see the older folk playing it like Luke Donald. People these days like flashy and that's what the JPX is, no wonder it gets more play. I myself am a stickler for tradition and I like a clean blade so MP for me.
I understand what you are saying & agree with you to a certain degree, but I would hardly describe the JPX range as "flashy" - Certainly not the Tour model which is targeting the Tour & lower handicap player? - The finish is very understated compared to the shiny chrome of most MP clubs - I have played Mizuno probably longer than anyone (was one of the first in the UK to get a set when you could only get them from one source) and my latest set of 900 Tours is as good as any I have owned on every level (looks / feel / performance) - All just my opinion of course & your mileage may vary ...
Paul

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Just choking on my Advocado sandwhich! Ok so last year I went through a set of MP 18 MBs had them for two weeks and had a hole in one with the 4iron so there was sentimental attachment there . HOWEVER , they were not as reliable as 900 Tour s, so sold them bought a set of SC s and found them very nice also but the forgiveness I expected was not the would have been better playing the MBs. Anyway went to 919 Tour recently and still get shot shaping capability a little forgiveness, but all round to me it is a better Mizuno offering. Lots of amateur guys, good golfers I know hitting JPX 919 Tour, 919 Forged Tour Combo as an alternative to an MP or dare I go further back TP line up. The feel is as awesome but something must be attracting them to JPX, and they are older buggers like me!!!

On tour Nick Watney was using a set, Ross Fisher, Mr 59 himself Oli Fisher, Ed Pep , Brookes Koepke to name a few. I would also suggest that rt-charger has a better understanding of bridgestones premium line Tourstage out in Australasia an excellent mizuno competitor which we hardly see any of here in Europe, I've still got a 3 wood which is exceptional! On a final note I would like to say NICE shooting Brattz some quality golf there!!! Great to discuss and well all have lots of opinions , happy golfing this weekend!!!

Top Bottom