RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
Hi All, long time etc.  I've recently put one of my four sets of Mizuno irons on sale - a set of MP-54s that I bought used some years ago advertised as standard length and lie,  which they certainly seemed to be when I played them, and is how I advertised them myself.  The buyer has just got back to me to say he thinks they're not standard and wants to return them.  He may be right,  but he's also given me some problems already in the course of the sale (very late payment) and I'm wondering if this is just another tactic.  So.. is there a way to check what spec the set was originally made to from the serial numbers? Does Mizuno keep these on record? Thanks. 

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Has he said what he thinks is non-standard?  Longer or shorter.  Up or flat? And if so do you think he could be right?

Did he say where he got them checked? If perhaps he's claiming a local club maybe a forum member on here might be a club member and could check in the pro shop for you? 

That is of course if a simple check on serial number isn't fruitful/possible. 

It can be a real pain sometimes when you sell something in good faith and the buyer d*cks you around. 

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
Should be okay to get the specs from mizuno. try MPX

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Thanks. Update this evening is he's only measured the clubs against a set (different make) of his Dad's and found they are the same length but he thought Mizuno made clubs half an inch shorter than other manufacturers. Now he's saying he "thinks" the lie is too upright. So in fact he hasn't done any proper checking against spec and is just ****ing about. However, in order to demonstrate to eBay that I haven't missold I'd like to get the original spec from Mizuno if i can. I'll DM MPX tomorrow.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
RobCH said:
Thanks. Update this evening is he's only measured the clubs against a set (different make) of his Dad's and found they are the same length but he thought Mizuno made clubs half an inch shorter than other manufacturers. Now he's saying he "thinks" the lie is too upright. So in fact he hasn't done any proper checking against spec and is just ****ing about. However, in order to demonstrate to eBay that I haven't missold I'd like to get the original spec from Mizuno if i can. I'll DM MPX tomorrow.
Good luck with getting the original specs unless you've got the original order number and Mizuno still have a record of orders from years ago.

It's come up quite a few times on here, the numbers on the hosel/ferrule ARE NOT serial numbers in the UK market, they are just the build date. If 1000 other sets were built on the same date at Cumbernauld then they would have the same number.

You've also got to consider that they're forged irons, if you've practised a lot with them on range mats then this can alter the lie angles slightly as well.

Sounds like to me that the buyer has changed his mind and is trying to blag it.

Personally I would offer the refund of sale price only not including postage cost and then he will have to return them to you in the original state you sent them to him at his own cost.

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
Agree with Paul. Tell him you will refund him his money and he returns the clubs. go through E-bay / Paypal panefor disagreements, 

Does he know that he was buying clubs that were" Custom fit"..

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Stewart 57 said:
Agree with Paul. Tell him you will refund him his money and he returns the clubs. go through E-bay / Paypal panefor disagreements, 

I also agree with hursty - Sounds like the buyer doesn't know what he is doing / talking about - You get a lot of that on eBay & I have learned how to cover myself from people like this - I don't offer returns unless I have made an error on the listing - Unless I know exactly what the loft & lie is I always say "standard, as far as I know" - Also in terms of length I always take a picture of the club against a measuring tape with the words "check pictures for exact measurement" - With a set of irons I will do this for the shortest iron (PW) & longest iron (4i) - I'd rather sell to people here or friends, acquaintances etc but do sell quite a bit on eBay for myself & others (current feedback is 693 @ 100%) - You just have to cover your behind ...
Paul

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
PaulBoy said:
Stewart 57 said:

I also agree with hursty - Sounds like the buyer doesn't know what he is doing / talking about - You get a lot of that on eBay & I have learned how to cover myself from people like this - I don't offer returns unless I have made an error on the listing - Unless I know exactly what the loft & lie is I always say "standard, as far as I know" - Also in terms of length I always take a picture of the club against a measuring tape with the words "check pictures for exact measurement" - With a set of irons I will do this for the shortest iron (PW) & longest iron (4i) - I'd rather sell to people here or friends, acquaintances etc but do sell quite a bit on eBay for myself & others (current feedback is 693 @ 100%) - You just have to cover your behind ...
Paul
Totally agree sounds like he has changed his mind...!

John 

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Thanks again everyone.  Useful advice on selling in future.  Now that the length and lie argument is looking a bit threadbare he's claiming the set isn't genuine,  having originally said it was great,  something's wrong with the look of the forging (whatever that means),  the lettering is wrong (ditto) and they don't  look like they did in the photos! He's very reluctant to provide any evidence for any of this,  and in a great hurry to start the return process.  I'm getting a small amount of enjoyment out of asking him to explain everything he claims,  but will probably agree the refund before the statutory 8 day limit and write it off as a lesson learned. Some buyers are just trouble. 

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Rob. Give him his refund, But; tell him you will refund his money when you have received the clubs again and checked them to see if they were in the same condition you sent them . and tell him you will deduct money from the price, if you feel they are not in the same condition or have been tampered with ....

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Just for info, this has eventually turned out okay, at least for me. About a week ago the buyer went off on one and said he was going to bring in eBay to adjudicate, which forced the issue. By this time he was getting into personal insults, so I happily agreed. Then, confused by an online message from eBay that implied I had agreed a return, I called them to say I hadn't. Spoke to a very pleasant lady who went through all the messages from buyer to me and vv and said (not quite in these words) "he's clearly trying it on, and I'll make a note on the file to that effect". Case was adjudicated today and eBay ruled in my favour, payment finally released into my account. Buyer blocked from making feedback or contact, and buying from me again. So, result. Should cover a few Christmas pressies/bottles....

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Okay, spoke too soon. Buyer has now made this a claim via paypal. The saga continues.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
RobCH said:
Okay, spoke too soon. Buyer has now made this a claim via paypal. The saga continues.
The fact eBay has judged in your favour should hold weight with PayPal.

Just forward a copy of all correspondence from eBay to the PayPal claims team.

Personally (I'm a sceptical person) I wouldn't make any phone calls, there's no proof of what has been said in a phone call, there is however written proof via email/messages.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Agreed Hursty. All eBay correspondence copied to Paypal and I'm not that worried about their decision. Just more delay in clearing the funds, which I guess is what the buyer wants. 

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Thankfully Paypal have also decided in my favour, so barring an appeal to the Supreme Court by the buyer this case might now finally be over. Cheers all, have a great Christmas.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
RobCH said:
Thankfully Paypal have also decided in my favour, so barring an appeal to the Supreme Court by the buyer this case might now finally be over. Cheers all, have a great Christmas.
Lol, glad it appears to be sorted

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Just seen this. What a tosspot. Glad things worked out ok Rob. Do you have the buyer’s ID so we can abuse? :) You don’t mess with Mr C-H ;)

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Thanks again all. To update you, as it's getting like something out of a zombie (sorry, Z) movie, the buyer is now proposing to send the clubs in to Mizuno Cumbernauld to have them assessed. Meanwhile he's logged this as a counterfeit goods offence with the police! So Paypal funds are once again being held up. Given his track record with others on eBay and reluctance to back up any of his claims so far I still reckon this is a wee toerag just trying it on and he's now doubly pissed because both eBay and Paypal turned him down, so he won't stop digging. Given the time he's had the clubs I wouldn't put it past him to have swapped the ferrules with the date nos onto some other junk by now for Mizuno to have a look at, but maybe I'm just getting paranoid. Word to anyone selling or buying, he's a lad of 25 in Dunblane name of Charlie. Well worth steering clear of IMO. 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
Go to the police and raise a harrassment case against him, tell the police that he is causing mental strain on you and your family and he is making you feel like doing something silly!!!

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
All of that's true, Hursty! I'll see what happens next, but the way he's going I'll be able to get him for libel - he's all but accused me of knowingly selling counterfeit goods already. His latest is that they're not even forged, which even a quick look at the chatter marks on the heads would tell anyone isn't the case. Ah well, I'm relaxed - a glass of Balblair does that quite quickly I'm finding. Season's greetings to one and all.

Top Bottom