Andrew Carolan

HCP
Local club/country
Nuremore GC Carrickmacross Ireland
Irons
Titleist 716ap1
Driver
Titleist 917D3
Looking to return my mizuno mp t 5 51&56 degree wedges to change shafts in them from kbs tour s flex to kbs tour c-taper lite s flex to match my irons and other wedges?
what is the best way to do this, can i arrange directly with mizuno and pay over the phone etc
thank you
andrew

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Search the tinterweb for a local club fitter and get them to do it.

Mizuno won't do it for you.

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
Andrew Carolan said:
Looking to return my mizuno mp t 5 51&56 degree wedges to change shafts in them from kbs tour s flex to kbs tour c-taper lite s flex to match my irons and other wedges?
what is the best way to do this, can i arrange directly with mizuno and pay over the phone etc
thank you
andrew
If your existing wedges have been played, I would not spend the money to have them reshafted.
My preference would be to buy new wedges (with the shafts I prefer).
Finally, I would hesitate to install light weight shafts within wedges. For lofted SW and L wedges, heavier weight shafts may provide a benefit.
Sorry I did not answer your question directly, but thought it would not hurt to share my opinion. Hope you don't mind.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
I've looked into the CTaper Lites in my wedges, cheapest I can find the shafts at are £32 per shaft, you've then got the hassle of having them installed and gripped etc.

Am sending you a pm

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
DGMP said:
Finally, I would hesitate to install light weight shafts within wedges. For lofted SW and L wedges, heavier weight shafts may provide a benefit.
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. When I got a new iron set last summer, I decided to get matching wedges (T5s) and continued using the same shafts as the irons. My thought process was that there would be more continuity through my full iron and wedge set. In hindsight I wonder if that is offset by the accuracy benefits of having a little heavier, more robust shaft in the wedges. I'd love to hear others thoughts.

Agree though.. possibly not worth re-shafting versus just buying new wedges, especially if the wedges have been used a bunch and might have worn grooves. By the time you pay for the club to be reshafted and regripped, you've probably paid 60-80% of the cost of a new club, especially if you're comfortable getting a T5 since they're on sale as the prior generation

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
Kgrove said:
DGMP said:
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. When I got a new iron set last summer, I decided to get matching wedges (T5s) and continued using the same shafts as the irons. My thought process was that there would be more continuity through my full iron and wedge set. In hindsight I wonder if that is offset by the accuracy benefits of having a little heavier, more robust shaft in the wedges. I'd love to hear others thoughts.

Agree though.. possibly not worth re-shafting versus just buying new wedges, especially if the wedges have been used a bunch and might have worn grooves. By the time you pay for the club to be reshafted and regripped, you've probably paid 60-80% of the cost of a new club, especially if you're comfortable getting a T5 since they're on sale as the prior generation
I do believe relatively heavy wedge shafts may help a players green side shot rhythm and tempo.
These days 95 to 110 gram  lightweight iron shafts are popular. Many players find the weight comfortable.
My own experience with lighter weight iron shafts was that they made achieving consistently smooth tempo a bit more challenging (compared to traditional 120-125 gram iron shafts).
For wedges in particular, on fuller distance shots there may be some merit to having the shafts match the iron set. The trade off is that for short little green side chips-pitches-and bunker shots a lighter weight shaft may promote a little bit too fast of a tempo.
The difference is subtle and I don't think is worthy of reshafting.

Top Bottom