Change in shafts

HCP
Local club/country
The Course at Adare Manor
Irons
flyhi 4 JPX919 Tour 5-PW Mizuno T7 50 and 54, Callaway PM 60
Driver
Titleist TS3
Hi all, I have been using the True Temper SL shafts for about 6 years and I decided to get fitted last week. I wasn't certain that I even should be there as i have shave 1.5 shots off my handicap this summer. In any event I was asked to hit a 7 iron and I hit it pretty well. To my amazement the fitter (ex European Tour player) said that while I may have been very happy with the shot it needed assistence. Basically I hit it 70 feet into the air on trackman's setting that took the environment out of the equation. He said that it should have gone 90+ feet into the air so that the landing angle gets as close to 50 degrees as possible. I hit a few more and found that I wasn't able to get it up close to that number. We tried an array of shafts with the JPX919 range and the MP18 and the outcome was the JPX Tour with the Nippon Modus 105X. Got a few shots up to 100 feet and so the distance after landing was only a yard or two. I was genuinely amazed at the technology and the marginal gains that can be found by going to a good fitter

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Very interesting - As a matter of interest on the shots you did hit 100' into the air what was the carry distance compared to the ones you only hit 70' high? - I can understand a Tour Pro wanting to hit the ball that high, but wonder if us mere mortals should be trying to do so? - I just checked my 7 iron stats from my Flightscope MEVO sessions & I hit my 7 iron closer to 70' than 100' - I also wouldn't describe my ball flight as "low"
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
The Course at Adare Manor
Irons
flyhi 4 JPX919 Tour 5-PW Mizuno T7 50 and 54, Callaway PM 60
Driver
Titleist TS3
Very interesting - As a matter of interest on the shots you did hit 100' into the air what was the carry distance compared to the ones you only hit 70' high? - I can understand a Tour Pro wanting to hit the ball that high, but wonder if us mere mortals should be trying to do so? - I just checked my 7 iron stats from my Flightscope MEVO sessions & I hit my 7 iron closer to 70' than 100' - I also wouldn't describe my ball flight as "low"
Paul
That's the interesting thing I think, I would never have considered my ball flight low either until I put the new shafts in. At 97 feet the carry was 157. The important aspect I learned was the landing angle was 48.6 degrees.
With my own clubs the the height was 78 feet and the carry was 155 and the landing angle was 43.2. that's quite a significant difference coming in a green. What he also said which I found very interesting is that the height you hit say your 5 iron will be in and around the same as you hit your wedge, just the eye won't see that. He also said which is obvious once it's said is that it's easy to bring the flight down but not so to raise it.

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
I had a lesson the other day and Trackman was normalised. Decent range balls from what I’m led to believe.

My 7-iron was also flying low (according to the pro). Similar height to you, around the 70ft mark. I have JPX 850 forged. I’ve been working on strike (less picking and more compressing) and the carry was averaging 178 yards I think, but spin down around 4.5k. And as you had, my landing angle was also too flat.....certainly given my low spin. My shafts are KBS tour stiff.

He made me up an AP2 7-iron for interest (I happened to be in the Titlesit studio) but I can’t remember the shaft now. Anyway, some difference but not huge. He also suggested around 100ft peak height would be where he’d like to see it. Then he gave me his Titleist CB 7-iron with a Project X 6.0. I haven’t checked but suspect loft would have been 2 (maybe even 3) degrees weaker. Flushed the first one! Spin up around 6.6k, peak height was 103 I think and descent angle over 49. Carry dropped to 165 with a total of 168. Definitely given me something to think about.

12 to 13 yards less carry (some due to loft) but the descent angle and less roll would really help in the summer. I guess I should maybe compare my 8 to his 7 as lofts may be closer. Given my 7 only averaged spin around 4.5k I’d be surprised to see my 8 up anywhere near his 7.

The excuse I need to look at the new Mixuno kit!

Good luck with your new clubs.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I always just bought clubs. I had a bad fitting experience many years ago with some PING irons, so when I bought my first set of Mizuno irons, (MX1000), I simply bought regular graphite shafts and stuck my midsize grips on them.

It was the incredible volume of information from this forum that stimulated me to get properly fitted. I've never been sorry I did, but 99% of what was analysed was the distance and dispersion. I never had any of the 3 guys who fitted me talk about the height of my ball flight. I find that interesting.

HCP
Local club/country
Royal Cape South Africa
Irons
Waiting on 223's with Aerotech 110i S
Driver
Depends on what is available :-)
I think 100’ apex is great in optimal conditions, but how many of us play in windless conditions - 2-3 weeks a year max when seasons change. Our peak summer months the wind blows 20-30 mph on average daily. I’m afraid with 100’ apex and 50* DA I’m affraid i will lose 10-20 on that same 7 iron. #justsaying

Top Bottom