Castello Masters: Sergio Garcia

Nooner

Local club/country
Spain
I know he has no particular link to Mizuno but I went to the Castello Masters today and followed the Sergio, Olazabal and Richard Green group. Garcia's putting demons are still there I'm afraid despite a 2 month break. It's such a shame as Europe's most promising player ten years ago is now a man who has a serious case of the jitters. Tee to green he was fantastic, such a brilliant ball striker. But as soon as he gets on the green he's had it, his head drops and he rarely makes clean strikes. He must have 3 putted 5 times, one when he was 20ft away for an eagle. Then when he finally knocked one in for birdie on 16 he double bogeyed the 17th to miss the cut by one at his home course. It was painful watching him at times and I seriously worry that not only will he ever fulfill his huge potential but I also doubt he'll be back in the worlds top 30. He seems like one of the good guys too, regularly giving balls to the watching kids and spending lots of time signing autographs and posing for photo's at the end.

Olly was brilliant at times and rolled back the years with some lovely putts and great iron play for a 67. He's also got a huge drive for his age and considering it's only his second tournament of the year he's doing well. Green had a see-saw of a round; few birdies followed by a few bogeys but he played well and will look for a good round tomorrow to put himself in contention.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I totally agree - if Sergio could putt, he'd be a real contender for #1 spot!! Hugely talented with a driver, iron or wedge in his hand, but no better than the average joe on the greens.

If you have ever watched a slo-mo of his swing, he creates a scary amount of club head lag, and attacks the ball really steep and compresses the ball like crazy.

A real shame - he could be so good if he could putt.

Olazabal is just a gem, and it's another real shame that his career has been dogged by ill health and injury!!

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Matteo Manassero is a stunning golfer. 17 years old, the youngest winner in European Tour history. Well played that man (boy?)

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Big congratulations to Manassero - really looking like the real deal if he can carry on putting like that.

Mizzy Garrido snuck into 2nd as well \o/

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
He obviously has some mental strength problems, dont we all at times. He is only human. I saw him have a massive dummy spit a month or two ago in a bunker. A total melt down, as if he reached his flash point. Surely some out there can help him on the greens. He is coming to Australia next month. Hopefully with a little less pressure, he can gain some confidence.

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
Anyone know what clubs Olazabal is using at the moment, by the look of it he doesn't have a contract.

He seems to be playing bladed irons, but didn't get enough of a look to confirm which make.

If I recall in the early nineties he used to play Mizunos. I remember following him at The Dubai Desert Classic one year and I think he was using TP9s (memory not what it used to be) but his bag suggested he was playing another brand!!

Nooner

Local club/country
Spain
Olly did have brand-less clubs and bag, was trying to work it out myself.

Get him a deal, Mizuno. Classy player, classy individual and almost certain to be next Ryder Cup captain.

I did get to see a bit of Manassero and have to say he is incredibly mature for his age. Seems to have a mental strength Sergio would love to have

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Looks like a TM driver, but I can't seem to nail his irons...

Attachments

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Nooner said:
I did get to see a bit of Manassero and have to say he is incredibly mature for his age. Seems to have a mental strength Sergio would love to have
From the horses mouth Manassero is class, and will be a real contender for the number 1 spot in a few years time (a friend of mine partnered him at the Castello Masters, see if you can work it out, to his cost he found out how good Matteo is! ;))

Top Bottom