Brian Gay's Harbour Town win - was it good for golf?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Local club/country
UK
Watching the shotmakers rule the leaderboard at Harbour Town with its small greens made a change from the normal power dominance. Does professional golf need more courses set up like this?

HCP
Local club/country
Prestonfield
Irons
JPX EX Forged 4-PW(DG-R300) / MP S18 52 & 58 (DG-W)
Driver
Taylormade M2
Definately. For far too long the game has been dominated by players who can spray the ball wildly off course into the rough and still make the green due to their raw strength and power. It's a welcome change to see a 'shotmaker' win.

A few years back the top players were complaining about the rough at 'Car-nasty' but they should remember the ball is supposed to be on the fairway!

rogmcn

HCP
Local club/country
Skelmorlie
Irons
MX-25 3-PW / 3 Wood F60 / Wilson 21 Utility / 60 Lob Wedge / Mizuno SW / C01 Putter / ProV1
Driver
MX 560 Standard
Totally agree - hitting the ball off line from the tee - should result most of the time in a missed green - if you can hit straight or at least accurate and long then the reward should be there of course but at the moment many pro's hit well off line and still hit wedges in for birdies or better. How can shorter shotmakers compete - for me golf is not just about overpowering the course.

I would like to see more courses setup a bit more mixed as regards what they demand from the tee - as in real serious hazards at power hitter distances - go for it - yes maybe but the risk is a real risk, ie dropped shot or shots.

Roger

Evo

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Mizuno 600 10.5
Yes. It brings more skill into the game with players having to work the ball both ways and less reliance upon driving length. Small targets and and a bit of breeze brings players like Luke Donald and Brian Gay into the forefront.

HCP
Local club/country
Turner Valley / Canada
Irons
MP37, 2-LW
Driver
Titleist 9.5, V2 shaft
Most definitely, US golf is full of smash and grab the cash courses. Watching JB Holmes just sums that up, he wouldn't last on the European tour. I would like to see a maximum green size/width brought into effect. I have played some of those courses in the states that the play on and frankly as a 4 handicap i should not be able to 17 greens in regulation. anyway congratulations to Brian Gay.

alexchung

HCP
Local club/country
Cawder Golf Club/Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP60 3-PW
Driver
Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5* Accra Tour M
Yes definitely!! Been following Brian Gay for a few years now on Tour (I have had the opportunity to spend time working with his coach) and its good to see a player win who is not bombing it 350 yards all the time but is straight, accurate and has a deadly short game.
Alex

Styles

HCP
Local club/country
NI
Irons
TP9
Driver
FT-5
Hi Alex,

It was great to see BG win, but the manner of his win is what was most impressive.

alexchung

HCP
Local club/country
Cawder Golf Club/Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP60 3-PW
Driver
Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5* Accra Tour M
Agreed on that. Also his win at the St Jude's Classic the week before teh US Open was just as impressive.
Alex

Top Bottom