Brand New to Golf - Help!

tmasson

Local club/country
USA
Always said I would start golfing when my daughters finished school as I would have time and money to play. Well I forgot about college and weddings!

So now at 51 and free of the MSBs (affectionate reference to Money Sucking Babies) and preparing for future retirement, I'm excited to start golfing!

Where should I start? I'm 5' 6" (168 cm), decent physical shape and an ex-hockey player.

I'm sold on Mizuno! Great deals new MX 950s, better deals on demo/used MX100s, and bargins on used MX20/25s.

Should I go to a pro shop and get fitted for new? (Expensive and commitment?) Or guess at the right model & shaft and buy some less expensive starter clubs. With so many shaft options and no reference or golf experience data, it's confusing ... especially senior - is that an age or ability thing?

Or just buy a single 5, 6, or 7 and start at a driving range? Learn to hit the ball then demo various clubs?

And/or take lessons ... do you need clubs to start?

What advice can you share?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

St. Louis, Missouri

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
Hey Tom,

Since you are 5'6", a standard set "may" not fit you the best. I say "may" because if you have learned to play golf on a standard set (it may be the best choice for your game).

Getting fitted and then purchasing a set to your specifications can improve your game.

Since you are also new to the game - Get lessons BEFORE buying anything.. If you have played, then the fitting you will receive will be more extensive and accurate.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom