HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I had one of the first sets of TP irons in the UK (the only place you could get them was from Barry Willet at St George's Hill GC in Surrey) - They were made for me & cost a fortune then, @ £400 iirc when a full set of irons & woods was about £199 :eek: - I kept them for about 3 years & sold them for what I paid for them
Since then I veered off Mizuno & played with numerous other top brands until Mizuno introduced their first cavity back (forged) iron in 2000 (MX20) - I played those for 10 years (& still have them!) - After retiring I had plenty of spare time to work on my game & try loads of Mizuno irons - I have bought / sold dozens of sets - I currently play MP4's (but it is only Wednesday!) - I can't argue that the MP32's are a classic, though as you say the 33's get more rave reviews ...
Paul

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Best ever Mizuno Irons ... for me it has to be the first set I owned, a set of MP30s. They changed the way I looked at played my golf golf.

I've had Mizuno clubs in the bag ever since, through thick and thin. Don't think I'd look elsewhere for my clubs now.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
It is a super course, a upland heathland/links half a mile from the sea. We have a Pro Am today and the Northumberland v Cheshire County match Saturday week.

The R&A blokes have had a look and put it on the list of The Open regional qualifier courses.

We had a European Tour event in 1977

A young 20 year old player hit a drive of 370 yards with a Persimmon driver and a Tour Balata, through the back of 15 while the group ahead were putting.

He then caused caused consternation by walking across the wooden clubhouse floor with his hard spikes on.

He is my all time hero

Seve... of course :):)

Well worth a visit

If you are ever in Newcastle Paul, give me a shout and I will sign you in for the guest fee

KR's

Steve :)
Hi Steve ... Thanks for the kind words! - I managed to play to 7hcp while still working, but retirement gave me the opportunity to practice as well as play, hence the Cat 1 status - NUT is a long way away from me, but if I find myself in the area for some reason I will take you up on the offer of a game - Likewise if you are ever "dann saaff" I'd be more than happy to sign you in at Guildford or New Forest ...
Seve is also a big hero of mine - I witnessed an amazing exhibition by him when he opened a course in NI when he was in his prime, but my favourite story involving him was told by Tony Johnstone while on Sky commentary duties - It goes as follows (some nice person already posted it on another forum!) ... Paul

"Sometime in the early 90s, Seve was partnered with Tony Johnstone in a European tour event (possibly Portugal?). Anyway, over the course of this round, Seve is hitting it all over the place, and by 2/3 of the way through the round has asked for 4 rulings and gotten relief every time, much to Johnstone's annoyance.
On the 14th/15th, a semi-blind dogleg left over the brow of a hill, both players overdraw it through the dogleg into the trees. When they arrive down the hole, one ball is sitting just to the left of a big tree (allowing a normal-ish second shot) and the other ball is absolutely dead behind the tree, virtually touching it.
TJ approaches the second ball, and asks Seve if he thinks a mark near it is a rabbit scraping. No, says Seve.
Tony then addresses the ball in a ridiculously convoluted way, and gets his foot just about touching a dirt path. Can I get relief now, asks TJ? No, says Seve.
Lastly, Tony questions whether or not the area is in fact GUR. No, no, no, says Seve.
Finally...
TJ: "So there's no way you can get relief from here?"
SB: "No Tony"
TJ: GOOD, BECAUSE IT'S YOUR BALL!"

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
TP 19s along with TP 9s were two of the nicest sets of irons produced and you could get 1 iron to SW in each set as you could the majority of early TP irons

jkjaberg

HCP
Local club/country
Largo Municipal
Irons
MP 32 2-PW MP-T4 52 MP-T4 56
Driver
MP 001 10 R
My first experience with Mizuno was T-Zoid Trues. Played numerous sets. Currently own sets of MP 29s, 30s, 32s (the best!), 37s, 59s. Played with 33s many years but sold them. In process of rehabing my game and swing after back surgery. The clubs I hit the best are the 32s, and,,, the Trues.

dnicho500

HCP
Local club/country
Hexham
Irons
Mizuno MP5 4-PW
Driver
Taylormade M2 8.5 Hzrdus yellow 6.0
I would have to say the MP33, bought them brand new when they first came out, started off a long love affair with mizuno irons thats still going to this day

HCP
Local club/country
UK
TP-11 (2-SW) - purely on sentimental grounds. They still make the occasional on-course appearance (alongside a TP-AW persimmon driver)

HCP
Local club/country
Oxford Golf Club
Irons
MP-650 3-4 hybrid (Fujikura Orochi 85g R), MP-32 4-PW (Dynamic Gold R300), MP-R12 52-58 wedges
Driver
ST-Z 10.5 (Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 6.0 60g), ST-Z 3-Wood (Project X Evenflow Riptide 5.5R 60g)
Bought a set of MP-32s off the shelf back in 2007, got down to 10.2 so thought with a fitted set I'd get to single figures. Went for the MP-64s but I have never played as well with these as the 32s.

They're still in pretty good nick and I keep wondering whether to get them re-grooved and back into play.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Currently on MP18SC (and really like) I have still kept my MP5 set, which I love the look of and love to play. But, I wish I had kept my MX300 with stock XP S300 shafts. Great clubs, consistent, decent distance and also soft to hit. Not overly pretty compared to the best looking Mizzy irons, but a lot better than other OEM mid handicap/game improver clubs.

Top Bottom