DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi, I’m possibly in the market for a new electric trolley. Currently have the Motocaddy M1 which I’ve been very pleased with (mainly due to size when folded). Last winter a number of courses wouldn’t allow their winter wheels (the hedgehog design). They’d only allow the Powacaddy design (wide, flat and hexagonal is the best way I can describe them).

What is your experience re acceptance of winter wheel design at your course or courses (UK) you play please? If the wheels weren’t a consideration I’d buy a Motocaddy again. A few times last year I ended up paying to rent an electric trolley at an away pro shop as my winter wheels weren’t acceptable to the grounds staff (which is fair enough).

At one club they actually preferred normal wheels to the hedgehog design. I’d imagine in the future Motocaddy will have to make a different design if courses do start prohibiting the hedgehogs. They did sell the hexagonal design years back but I can never seem to find them (auction sites etc). Certainly can’t find them new anywhere, perhaps they didn’t have long term rights to the design?

Thanks.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dan ... The hex ones you mention are on Powakaddy trollies - If you end up buying a Powakaddy I have a set of them which I was going to sell - I only used them a few times last winter (prefer to carry a half set) so they are in good shape & you would save a chunk of cash as they are silly price new!
I have used electric trollies for about 20yrs & always had Powakaddy - Like any trolley they can go wrong, but spares are readily available & they are cheap to repair
Most courses I play are ok with any winter wheels - I did play somewhere last year that was so wet they wouldn't allow any trolley - So you had to carry or not play at all
Hope that helps?
Paul

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi Paul, hope all is well with you. Looks like you continue to play frequently and with some nice scores! Thanks for the reply. I spent some time yesterday dismantling various parts of the Motocaddy and for now it seems ok, well it moves. I’d seen the hex wheels on the Powacaddy trolleys.....just very hard to find the same for Motocaddy for some reason. I have two rounds at Royal Liverpool this coming weekend (can’t wait) so hoping the Motocaddy holds out for that.

Mizuno are down here at The Celtic tomorrow doing fittings, but sadly I’ll miss that as I’m away with work. Hoping to hit the new irons soon.

Dan

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dan ... Yes I am keeping well & unlike yourself, don't have work interfering with my golf! - You do get some strange ideas about winter wheels / trollies - I have been turned away before I got the hex MK wheels, but they are a pain also, as even the big holes in them get clogged up with mud at times - I got rid of mine this weekend & will keep my carry bag handy if my trolley with normal wheels aren't allowed - Hope you had a good couple of rounds at weekend & maybe I can take you up on the offer of a game next Spring? - Really enjoyed the Monty course at CM & might be able to get Jim & Colin back down for a re-match?
Cheers ... Paul

LOS

Local club/country
England
If the ground is going to be very wet I take an old Powakady 2 wheel pull trolley with me as I am getting to old to carry for 18 holes in the winter. I tried using "Gliders" on the wheels but they get clogged up and are a pain to clean and I wasn't to keen on screwing them to the existing wheels.

Gliders http://www.redkiteproducts.com/gliders/4579813694

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
If the ground is going to be very wet I take an old Powakady 2 wheel pull trolley with me as I am getting to old to carry for 18 holes in the winter. I tried using "Gliders" on the wheels but they get clogged up and are a pain to clean and I wasn't to keen on screwing them to the existing wheels.

Gliders http://www.redkiteproducts.com/gliders/4579813694
Yeah I tried those too! - As you said the holes clog up too easily, but you can fix them on easily with cable ties & not worry about screwing them onto your normal wheels - I took them off the wheels, cleaned them with a pressure washer & fixed them back on with more cable ties ...

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi Dan ... Yes I am keeping well & unlike yourself, don't have work interfering with my golf! - You do get some strange ideas about winter wheels / trollies - I have been turned away before I got the hex MK wheels, but they are a pain also, as even the big holes in them get clogged up with mud at times - I got rid of mine this weekend & will keep my carry bag handy if my trolley with normal wheels aren't allowed - Hope you had a good couple of rounds at weekend & maybe I can take you up on the offer of a game next Spring? - Really enjoyed the Monty course at CM & might be able to get Jim & Colin back down for a re-match?
Cheers ... Paul
I’m sure that can be arranged. More than happy to host the three of you again. You have my email and mobile.

Top Bottom