HCP
Local club/country
Royal Cape South Africa
Irons
Waiting on 223's with Aerotech 110i S
Driver
Depends on what is available :-)
Hi all

Not sure if been posted before but I need to know what effect the shanging of shaft settings have on the performance of shafts. I’ve been playing golf for 30 years and have always spined my shafts. From driver to wedges.
With the new adjustable drivers where the actual shaft turns to new setting obviously the spine changes. I have a tour spec shaft which will go into my ST190G shortly but am a bit concerned it may affect the performance. I know the modern shaft are way better but surely in graphite spine still valid. Any other members that have seen difference in feel and performance with changing the settings?

Regards

Cassie

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
I cannot imagine that the rotational angle in which the shaft is being put in the head makes any difference to the Performance or feel of the shaft. The shaft doesn't get twisted around any axis, it's out of the head turned and put back in, there should be no physical difference. The only Thing it should effect is the lie angle as well as the face angle and, thereby, the effective loft of the Driver.
Personally I have not felt any difference no matter the Setting in which I have my JPX 900.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I always heard spining was much more important with steel shafts and much less important with graphite shafts. Anyone know for sure?

HCP
Local club/country
Royal Cape South Africa
Irons
Driver
Hi Dennis
Exactly why I asked the question. It might not make a big difference these days with the advances in technology it might not be an issue but asked the question for our fellow Mizuno members and gurus. Torque bowing and bending in my layman’s mind must have an influence. Takes me back to my pole vaulting days, one way only or you land flat on your back 🤦🏻‍♂️

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I can see why a glued in steel shaft might perform better with correct spine alignment, but as most drivers are adjustable using adapters, I don't believe these would be made with any sort of spine alignment? - Just my opinion of course! - You could always drop Bryson De C an email to verify (?)
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I think spining is more a matter of creating the best possible consistency in a set of clubs with steel shafts. I'm not sure it makes anything better other than the consistency of the flex pattern. For that matter, I seriously doubt 90% of us would feel or recognize the results of spining our clubs. I know I wouldn't.

All the same, if the question about whether graphite shafts need to be spined, or even if they can be, someone much closer to the business of shaft building and design needs to chime in. If I was gluing together a set of clubs, all I would know if to get the shaft logo lined up the same way from one club to the other.

HCP
Local club/country
Royal Cape South Africa
Irons
Driver
I can see why a glued in steel shaft might perform better with correct spine alignment, but as most drivers are adjustable using adapters, I don't believe these would be made with any sort of spine alignment? - Just my opinion of course! - You could always drop Bryson De C an email to verify (?)
Paul
😂😂😂

HCP
Local club/country
Australia
Irons
3 - PW MP-20 HMB with Miyazaki Jinsoku 76s Shafts 50/55/60 T20 Satin Chrome Wedges with Miyazaki C.Kua 95w Wedge Shafts
Driver
ST190G -10 degree in UST Proforce TSPX VTS Silver 6S
I FLO all shafts in my equipment, after buying the ST190G I tried the shaft to make sure I was happy with flight and spin then FLO it in the 10 degree setting I was happy with......

Top Bottom