10 years since last custom fit !

Chrisp226

HCP
Local club/country
Preston GC Lancashire
Irons
MP18 2 iron MMC flihi TT X100 s/step - JPX 919 Forged 4-7 X100, JPXTour 8-PW X100 - T7 50/54/58 wedges
Driver
ST190G Atmos Tour black 6X ST190 3W TS Tensei CK Blue X
Hi, my first post on here so here goes, i'm getting my first fitting in 10yrs tomorrow using the DNA system as i'm getting back into the game for the first time in quite a few years due to personal reasons, I've used Mizuno irons + woods for over 25 years and have always had my irons custom fit, so the advances made in fitting technology are of real interest to me.

Having always used blades, currently MP33's, i'm going to make a selection from either MP4 / 5 or 25 , (we all need a little help sometime !) plus a selection of T7 wedges.

Be interested in your opinions if you've used the DNA system and how it's recommendation(s) worked for you on course, ie has it helped improve your game, hcp etc. I know there are a number of variables to consider eg type of ball used, experience of the pro etc but your overall view of the experience would be useful as well.

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Chrisp226 said:
Hi, my first post on here so here goes, i'm getting my first fitting in 10yrs tomorrow using the DNA system as i'm getting back into the game for the first time in quite a few years due to personal reasons, I've used Mizuno irons + woods for over 25 years and have always had my irons custom fit, so the advances made in fitting technology are of real interest to me.

Having always used blades, currently MP33's, i'm going to make a selection from either MP4 / 5 or 25 , (we all need a little help sometime !) plus a selection of T7 wedges.

Be interested in your opinions if you've used the DNA system and how it's recommendation(s) worked for you on course, ie has it helped improve your game, hcp etc. I know there are a number of variables to consider eg type of ball used, experience of the pro etc but your overall view of the experience would be useful as well.
My personal view is I've been happy with the DNA system.  I've always ended up with one of the top three but never the first recommendation.  I think depending how long the fitting session is, or how many sessions you are willing to do, then it helps narrow down some options.  Conversely I'm sure there are plenty that end up with something not in the top 3 list (maybe the list is more than top 3 now anyway.....couple of years since I've used it).

Good luck and have fun! 

MizunoMade

Local club/country
Sweden
Irons
Mizuno MP-5 KBS Tour 130x
Driver
Taylormade M2 2017 Project X LZ 6.0
I did one a few years ago and then again last weekend. I was surprised by the result as I thought my swing was less aggressive. You can read about it in the post about trusting the swing DNA. :)

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
I think the DNA is a great system, when used correctly.  You have to remember that the suggested shafts have been selected based on your swing characteristics and speed and are only recommendations.  They are a starting point for the fitting.  Your own feel, the shot data and fitters feedback will then hopefully guide you towards the right shaft, which could be different from the three suggestions.

It would be good for you, as there have been plenty of changes and new products over 10 years and there could be a great shaft just waiting to be found!  And if you end up with the same shafts you have always used then I suppose it gives you the comfort of knowing that you are using the right ones :)

Chrisp226

HCP
Local club/country
Preston GC Lancashire
Irons
MP18 2 iron MMC flihi TT X100 s/step - JPX 919 Forged 4-7 X100, JPXTour 8-PW X100 - T7 50/54/58 wedges
Driver
ST190G Atmos Tour black 6X ST190 3W TS Tensei CK Blue X
Since posting this thread I've been fitted for my 6th set of Mizzy irons, at Lytham golf academy (between Warton & Lytham) with Mike Newton. My current set is MP33's with Rifle 6.0, +3/4in, +2deg upright and Tour Velvet grips with 3 tapes under right hand 

I tried the MP5 / MP25 and JPX900 tour heads looking for feel, tight dispersion pattern and a mid (ish) ball flight, I wasn't looking for length, if I gained any that was simply a bonus.     

I tried each head with a number of different shaft options, some Mike didn't tell me which I was using so I could get a proper feel for the club. Besides the DNA system everything was backed up with the GC2/HMT launch system to evaluate results. We used Wilson range balls and the actual range not a screen.

The end result was that I've bought a set of MP25's on +1/2in, KBS C Taper S shafts, +3deg upright with GP MCC plus 4 grips and x3 T7 wedges 50/54/58 deg, all low bounce, interestingly the feel for me off the JPX 900 tour was like hitting a cast iron! didn't like it at all. I also found another 5 yards putting my 6 iron out to190 carry, going to have to re-evaluate my yardages !

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Chrisp226 said:
Since posting this thread I've been fitted for my 6th set of Mizzy irons, at Lytham golf academy (between Warton & Lytham) with Mike Newton. My current set is MP33's with Rifle 6.0, +3/4in, +2deg upright and Tour Velvet grips with 3 tapes under right hand 

I tried the MP5 / MP25 and JPX900 tour heads looking for feel, tight dispersion pattern and a mid (ish) ball flight, I wasn't looking for length, if I gained any that was simply a bonus.     

I tried each head with a number of different shaft options, some Mike didn't tell me which I was using so I could get a proper feel for the club. Besides the DNA system everything was backed up with the GC2/HMT launch system to evaluate results. We used Wilson range balls and the actual range not a screen.

The end result was that I've bought a set of MP25's on +1/2in, KBS C Taper S shafts, +3deg upright with GP MCC plus 4 grips and x3 T7 wedges 50/54/58 deg, all low bounce, interestingly the feel for me off the JPX 900 tour was like hitting a cast iron! didn't like it at all. I also found another 5 yards putting my 6 iron out to190 carry, going to have to re-evaluate my yardages !
I had the exact same opinion when I tried the Tour head. I went for my fitting and purchased MP25's which for me had by far the best feel. The JPX900 tour felt heavy and blunt on contact, I liked the MP5 but felt I might struggle with the longer clubs. 

Top Bottom